Pages

Monday 5 January 2015

Whole grains

Based on this article from "The Telegraph", Harvard University conducted the first research who shows that eating whole grains have a long-term impact on lifespan by reducing the risk of dying from heart disease. It`s already known, believed that whole grains are high beneficial for our health.

The main benefits of whole grains

The benefits of whole grains most documented by repeated studies include:
Other benefits indicated by recent studies include:
Back to the article from the Telegraph, my question to the Harvard University researchers is: What impact would have on the study if it evaluated individuals who ate whole grains and GMO`s ? I believe this is a subject that needs to be considered in all the health/food related studies that are being conducted. Yes I do understand that 14 years ago, when the study was initiated we were not aware of such problem as GMO's and Monsanto. However, I believe it's crucial to add this span to these types of studies where disgusting companies such as Monsanto ate taking over the market and poisoning our basic need - FOOD!

On that note, I found another interesting article that talks about the fact that GMO oats are a mith:

So, why are there no GMO oats? There are a bunch of reasons, but the main one is, not surprisingly, money. There simply aren’t enough oat farmers in the world, or enough oats grown, to create sufficient demand to justify the incredibly expensive research that goes into developing genetically modified seeds. “There’s no money and no desire” for such research, says Ron Barnett, an oat breeder and professor emeritus of agronomy at the University of Florida.
The decisions for which crops are targeted for GMO research are based on economic and political decisions that were made well before the first GMO crops were even conceived of. “In the United States, corn and soybeans are the drivers” of GMO product development, Barnett says. That’s because the markets for those crops were already dominant when genetic modification started taking off. “Oats,” comparatively speaking, “are a minor crop,” he adds.'

All I know it's that it's harder and harder to eat healthy. More and more complicated. I try to go for organic over all. Yes I do pay more, but it's a risk that I am no longer willing to take. Rather spend my money on Organic food then clothes.

On another note, I lost count of the number of times I have tried to eat oatmeal! I. Just. Can't. The flavor, the texture...it completely grouses me out.Ewwwe.... am I the only one?

Seren Dipity

The full study can be found here: JAMA Internal Medicine

No comments:

Post a Comment