Pages

Tuesday 25 November 2014

Fado

I am not sure if you guys have ever been introduced to Fado, a Portuguese music genre born in the 1800's. It's a fairly simple form of singing about anything. The poems speak about difficulties in general, a broken heart or your love for a city. It's a beautiful to express the deepest feelings in our soul. It's majorly characterized by the sentiment of resignation, lost, fatefulness and melancholia. On 27 November 2011, Fado was inscribed in the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage Lists.

As I child I used to hate it with all my heart. I was born and raised in a very humble family downtown Lisbon. My grandparents were born and raised in 2 of the most typical neighborhoods of Lisbon: Alfama and Graca. On that note, I am proudly what you would call "Alfacinha de Gema", a truth Lisboeta.
Over the course of the years I have been falling in love with Fado, and it's very hard for me to get teary eyes every time I list to a song. Last week, one of our oldest and most successful living Fado singers, Carlos do Carmo received a Grammy in Las Vegas. A once in a life time award to celebrate the years and success of his carrer. I will leave you guys with a tribute a Portuguese radio station (radio comercial) did to Carlos do Carmo.




The song "Lisboa Menina e Moça" is sang by 35 great Portuguese singers/artist. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment